Arcola Invitational- CANCELLED

The ICCA Invitational at Arcola HS scheduled for SUNDAY DECEMBER 8th has been CANCELLED. Read More



On June 14, the IHSA Board of Directors approved added the following language to the 2016-17 IHSA Cheer and Dance Terms and Conditions.

“The Association assumes no responsibility for the payment of copyright, royalty, or any other fees connected to the performances of any material in the cheer/dance competitive series.”

Rationale: The additional language is intended to assure that the music used at competitions is in compliance with U.S. copyright law.

Additional resources can be located at:

For complete information go to the website. Click on Activities. Then go to Cheerleading and click on Documents & Links. The Cheer Music Copyrights Guidelines are found here. Below are some of the key points taken from those Guidelines.


Q: What happens if I violate copyright laws?

A: The IHSA and the IESA cannot give you an exact answer about what will happen because when you violate copyright laws, you’re violating U.S. law. Our expectation is that you purchase the license(s) that allows you to edit music if you so desire.

A: If found in violation, you may be subject to financial penalties handed down by federal court. The level of responsibility to make sure your school is in compliance rests within the school.

A: Making sure that each school has adhered to copyright laws does not fall on either the IHSA, IESA or ICCA.


If your school hosts home contests or competitions, you’ll need to check with your school or district administration about obtaining SESAC, BMI, and/or ASCAP licenses.

These licenses allow a venue to play music to hundreds of people at one time, such as at an invitational or competition event.

*This is not the same as playing music just for yourself.*

Things you should NOT DO:

  1. DON’T use mash-ups you create or are sold to you without the documentation of the appropriate license(s).
  2. DON’T illegally download songs without purchasing them.
  3. DON’T copy or distribute to others a recording you have
  4. DON’T edit songs from CDs or that you purchased for personal use.


Things that you SHOULD DO:

  1. DO your research.
  2. DO purchase a license from the copyright owner to edit and mix music.
  3. DO keep documentation of your legal purchase of your music.
  4. DO work with a company that will provide you with the appropriate documentation for licensing. If a company can’t provide you with the licensing paperwork, choose a different company.

Here is the link to the music providers that are using the correct licensing .